Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Why Do I Love Malaysia So Much? Read On to Find Out..

I Love Malaysia. but why would an Expat from the UK love Malaysia so much, and what has it got to offer people who would like to come and retire or just holiday here.

For me One word comes to mind - HARMONY.
(quote from Tourisum Website "To know Malaysia is to love Malaysia. A bubbling, bustling melting pot of races and religions where Malays, Indians, Chinese and many other ethnic groups live together in peace and harmony.") Strange word to hear these days but a welcome one. 

When I speak to my friends back home and invite them over for a holiday, they decline say they are going to spain, Portugal or Turkey for holidays and even to retire. and OK it's close to the UK But to be honest, in my mind, that's all its got to offer, because its expensive to live in Spain, Portugal or even Turkey these day in comparison to Malaysia, You also have to learn the lingo of each country and drive wrong side of road.

Malaysia second languages English and spoken widely through out the country.

They have the same driving rules as UK and drive on the right. all signs are in english.

Malaysia is so good I am reluctant to share it really, but first off for me its the people of Malaysia that make it, they are so laid back and smile a lot, the children are respectful of adults, the weather is good all year round and even when its bad weather its still good. rain in uk is cold, rain in Malaysia is hot and while it comes down much harder in Malaysia within a few hours the sun is out and drys the land back to its former sunny self, also cools the temp down another bonus. In fact thats a good word for Malaysia. Bonus as it has so many.

Then you get 5 times the value for your UK pounds, Electricity is about rm. 200 a month, Gas about Rm 25 - 30, water rates about rm75 a quarter remember divide all these by 5 and you will see how cheap it is to live, Petrol is about 25p a litre back home its about 1.90 pounds.

But best of all has to be the FOOD. no mater where you go in Malaysia from hawker food to fine dinning, the food is excellent and highly recommended. cook at home is even cheaper but many households don't bother its easier to take the family out to eat, and no washing up - how cool is that.


So many places to eat in Malaysia -Blog about eating in Malaysia.

So back to the weather I have been here 6 years and only wore long pants about three times, life is so good when you can dress casually and in shorts. Seeing the sun every day is so good for the body, and sole. the greenery here in Malaysia has to be seen to be believed.

They say England has the finest green pastures in the world, but let me tell you pastures apart Malaysia has greenery everywhere you look,

Every town centre has an array of wonderful plant life well manicured by the city council workers, with topiary designed hedges etc.

We have not even got to the beaches yet or the marine life thats all around. the infrastructure in Malaysia is very well in place and even the fibre optics are being installed with every newly built area. and installed to existing areas as demand rises.

OK I dont want to repeat all the other official websites but I would urge all you people from the UK and Europe to Really Consider Malaysia as the pace to live or retire.

I live in Johor Bahru the southern City with just a quick journey over the causeway and your into Singapore in about 30 - 40 mins depending on traffic, it is once of the busiest customs transit point in the world. with thousands of people plying back and forth all day.


Click here for some of the best hawker and food outlets in JB

For more information on this wonderful city I have put together this website. and you can find out so much of what's happening here, the whats on page is updated regularly each month.

I also have set up a Forum for people to discuss things related to Johor Bahru and Malaysia.

Johor is undergoing a massive transformation at the moment
and will be one future metropolis to look out for, better still come and live here. See here for future development pictures. and information. - see a 13 minutes video of the future City of Johor Bahru

Life in Kuantan is by another english expat. You can read here.

13 comments:

Phoebe F said...

Glad to read the good comments & stories about Malaysia. How about visiting Miri,Sarawak on later days? :D

Jaya J said...

that's a great post :)

i love travelling and learning about other countries and cultures but whenever the plane lands and i step out onto the malaysian soil, i'm just always happy to be home.

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Oh John! You've summed it all up so well - I couldn't have said it better myself. Living in Malaysia is "the life"!
Thanks for the mention!

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

I really love this post John, so I'm featuring you on my blog today and I'll be asking all my readers to head over here to your blog to find out exactly why we love Malaysia so much!

Good job my friend!

ordinary malaysian said...

Came here from Our Home Called Kuantan. Nice to know that you find Malaysia agreeable to you and that in fact you are living your dream here in Malaysia like Duncan D. Horne. JB is a nice city. In fact I came from Kluang,Johore. Just wish that they do something about the high crime rate in JB. When I was staying there at one time, I used to witness petty and not so petty crimes committed. In fact I myself had been accosted several times.

john foster said...

Hey thanks for all your wonderful comments,
Ph0ebe F - Sarawak is on the cards, I been to the KK and MIri I still have to get to so many places that Malaysia has to offer.

Jaya J - I know the feeling, I consider Malaysia my home now and I felt the relief and tension go as soon as I touched down after my last holiday.

Hi Duncan, Yes we are both lucky and although we are oposite ends of Malaysia, we both love our citys.

Ordinary Malaysian - I like Kluang myself and often pop over. I hear so much about the so called crime in JB but I myself am out and about every day and have not had any problems what so ever. (hope not tempting fate now) But the police in JB appear to be every where now, I see patrol around my area on regular basis and often road blocks.

I feel so safe, but it's no different to any big city - you have to be careful and always be alert of whats going on around you,

I feel maybe its because I dont go out Drinking to bars etc I dont see what goes on late at night, for me I go bed 10pm up at 5am with the birds and chicken of the nearby kampongs. I love it here.

Thanks again for your much appreciated comments.

Regards John

Jennifer Hoppins said...

Hi John,
I'm visiting today from Duncan's blog. It's great to imagine living in a paradise someday. I think many people in the US don't consider retirement there because of the cost to travel to see family, but what an incredibly beautiful place to visit!

Ching'er said...

Hi John, it feel great to know that someone from a foreign country love my hometown JB, and is willing to this city his home!

Thank you for delighting me with your postings!

bunbb said...

thank you for loving our city and be part of it.
although there are roomS for improvement in various aspects for our country and city, i m still proud to be Malaysian.

Rosalind Adam said...

You do make it sound inviting but as someone who has never lived anywhere but Leicester UK I think the nearest I'd get is a holiday. We have harmony in Leicester too as we're one of the most diversely populated cities in the UK.

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

I know it's quite amazing for a local Malaysian to hear just how much a foreigner loves living in their country! Locals in Kuantan are always amazed that I love Malaysia and don't miss England. I guess it's different for a foreigner living here..

Lili Sulastri said...

John, this sure is a nice read. I was in JB last December and it was a first trip for my daughter but a walk down memory lane for me. So much has changed since I studied there in late 1960's but the old charm is still there. Sad to say my old school has changed it's name and the route I used to take to Elizabeth school is now overgrown with bushes and lalangs. We may make another trip to JB again - still planning, though. Glad you enjoy your stay there.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Malaysian and if there is anything at all I could do to get out of this country I would definitely do it

Share It Now.

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails